to office or connections class!
Click on the headline to read the latest news posts.
- Here’s What you Missed!! October 23, 2017
Last week’s home and school meeting: record turnout! Here are the highlights:
1. We started organizing March 21 7pm WSSD Faculty vs. Wizards Basketball Fundraiser!
2. Plans are underway for Career Speakers Day May 23, 2018 conjunction with staff and guidance counselors! Join us: we select speaker topics, professions, speakers and lunch for our guests before their afternoon of speaking. All students rank their choices and attend three afternoon sessions
3. 6th Grade Teacher Team Reps presented their grade update, information on the Franklin Institute Trip and outlined the upcoming projects, spirit week and red ribbon week activities.
4. Mr. King highlighted the role of the Grade Team Reps, who meet regularly during school days. He also presented both spirit and grounds wish list requests, which the board approved! Be on the look out!
5. Volleyball Night is coming up in November with proceeds to the 8th Grade service project.
6. Our November meeting date will be moved, more to come!
7.Four of the WSSD School Board Candidates made introductions and overview of why they are running!
8. SEND US YOUR BOX TOPS!!! Drop off at the office.
- Meet the candidates for WSSD School Board Elections! October 9, 2017
This Thursday Night: October 19, 2017
Home and School Meeting!
All candidates for WSSD School Board election November 7, 2017 have been invited to attend the October 19, 2017 Home and School Meeting! Meeting opens at 7pm in the Library, main level.
Enter via main doors.
They will be introduced and given an equal amount of time for a brief statement. They may stay afterwards for any individual questions, etc.
Plan to attend!
- Art Goes to School Looking for Volunteers September 26, 2017
What is Art Goes to School?
Art Goes to School is a volunteer art appreciation program serving schools and communities in the Delaware Valley. People of all ages who love working with children and are excited about art become volunteer members of Art Goes to School. Volunteers bring art reproductions into the classrooms. We present a program that encourages children to “look, listen and feel” works of art.
Art Goes to School uses art from around the world. Our children learn about the art from cave paintings to pop art and our collection is always expanding.
No Experience is Necessary
Art Goes to School of Wallingford- Swarthmore provides workshops to help our members learn about our portfolio of art reproductions. We work together in six two- hour weekly meetings every fall and spring to prepare lessons and share classroom techniques. Together we create lessons that are innovative and informal, making art accessible to all of our children.
We visit each elementary school and SHMS twice a year
We prepare a schedule of visits and allow our members to choose the day, time and grade that is best for their schedules. Volunteers give about four 45 min presentations in the classroom in the fall and again in the spring.
Visit Museums— Attend Lectures
Each year Art Goes to School of Delaware Valley sponsors a series of lectures on topics of interest to our members. We visit Philadelphia area museums and historic sites as well as a networking brunch with members from chapters throughout the greater Philadelphia area.
- Student Directories and SHMS Directory iOS App Now Available September 19, 2017
Student directories still for sale. Order your directory (and pay via PayPal) by going to the SHMS Directory page under the Fundraisers menu. Books sent home via office to child’s connections teacher, or pickup at the office (cash or check” SHMS HSA.”)
In addition, we have now launched the SHMS Direct App. This iOS app allows you to access student directory data on the go from your phone. You can download the app from the Apple App Store (search for SHMS Direct). Purchasers of the paper directory have the opportunity to get the online directory for an additional $3.
Check out the SHMS Directory page for more information!
- 6th Grade Band & Orchestra August 19, 2017
Incoming 6th graders in Band or Orchestra
There will be an “orientation rehearsal”on August 24,2017 SHMS Instrumental Music Room C128 ( Copples Lane Entrance)
6th Grade Orchestra: 8:30 am – 10:00am
6th Grade Band: 10:30 am – 12:00 noon
Rehearsals will be:
6th Grade Orchestra – Mondays: Connections (2:18 pm – 3:05 pm)
6th Grade Band – Morning Rehearsals, every 3rd day @ 7:00 am
The first rehearsals will be:
6th Grade Orchestra: Monday, September 11, 2017 @ 2:18 pm – 3:05 pm
6th Grade Band: Friday, September 8, 2017 @ 7:00 am – 7:45 am.
For more information, please read the SHMS 6th Gr Band and Orchestra 2017 Letter
- Rita’s Fundraider – Wednesday, June 1 May 20, 2016
- Friday, April 15 – Oasis After Dark April 12, 2016
- Parent Volunteers Needed at SHMS for the 2017-2018 March 10, 2016
Please consider volunteering your time for one of these open H&S Board and Committee positions:
We are looking to fill the following positions:
- Wizards Event Chair
- Oasis Night & Skyzone Nights
- Dimensions in Living / Career Speaker Program (2-3)
- Writer: Social Media, email blasts & Website
- School Supplies 2017-2018
- Grounds & Greens/ Zak Rufo Garden
- Library Rep
Please contact Amy Drum Caruso to secure your spot! Thank you!
- SHMS Indoor Putt-Putt Palooza to Benefit CADES January 8, 2016
The Strath Haven Middle School 8th grade class invites you to participate in a fun afternoon of indoor mini-golf, prizes, food and drink, and so much more, to benefit our own community treasure – CADES.
When: Sunday, January 31 from 11am-6pm
Where: CADES, 401 Rutgers Ave., Swarthmore
How much: $20 per team (up to 4 members)
This first-of-its-kind SHMS 8th grade created mini-golf course will give you an inside look at the amazing CADES organization, which has been dedicated to people with physical and mental disabilities for more than 60 years. There will be music, food and fun, as well as great prizes like “closest to the hole”, “craziest dressed golfer” and random drawings and raffles.
3 Ways to Sign Up:
1) Go to: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/30E0B4FAFA92BA20-shms
2) Fill in and return the form included in SHMS e-News email with cash or check for $20. An email or text will be sent to you to confirm starting time.
3) Walk in the day of the event and pay $5 per person, first-come, first-play as availability allows.
Proceeds will go to funding CADES projects and needs! Gather your team to help SHMS 8th grade help our friends at CADES!!
- 8th Grade Putt Putt for CADES December 14, 2015
Have you ever wanted to design a mini golf hole? Here’s your chance! Another fabulous fundraiser for the 8th Grade Service Project benefitting CADES involves some creative design/engineering by our parents and students. Volunteers will create and assemble a hole for a mini golf course that will be set up at CADES. Detailed directions and specifications will be provided to you, as well as a flag and rubber hole. The rest is up to you!