Student directories are here and on sale at Back to School Night. You can pre-order your directory (and pay via PayPal) by going to the SHMS Directory page under the Fundraisers menu.
In addition, we have just launched the SHMS Direct App. This iOS app allows you to access student directory data on the go from your phone. You can download the app from the Apple App Store (search for SHMS Direct). Purchasers of the paper directory have the opportunity to get the online directory for an additional $3.
Check out the SHMS Directory page for more information!
The SHMS Book Fair begins September 18th and runs through September 22. The book fair will take place in the SHMS Library and will be open from 7:30 am until 3:00 pm. In addition, it will be open during 6th grade Back to School Night.
Payments can be made with cash, check (payable to Strath Haven Middle School) or credit cards.
Online orders are also being accepted between September 18th and October 2nd.
See the attached flyer for more information.
Incoming 6th graders in Band or Orchestra
There will be an “orientation rehearsal”on August 24,2017 SHMS Instrumental Music Room C128 ( Copples Lane Entrance)
6th Grade Orchestra: 8:30 am – 10:00am
6th Grade Band: 10:30 am – 12:00 noon
Rehearsals will be:
6th Grade Orchestra – Mondays: Connections (2:18 pm – 3:05 pm)
6th Grade Band – Morning Rehearsals, every 3rd day @ 7:00 am
The first rehearsals will be:
6th Grade Orchestra: Monday, September 11, 2017 @ 2:18 pm – 3:05 pm
6th Grade Band: Friday, September 8, 2017 @ 7:00 am – 7:45 am.
For more information, please read the SHMS 6th Gr Band and Orchestra 2017 Letter
The following is a list of supplies needed for incoming 6th graders.
Language Arts (red)
- one 1 ½ or 2 inch binder (filled with loose leaf paper)
- red pocket folder (heavy vinyl or plastic, three-hole punched recommended)
- two highlighters (yellow)
- one pack of 3 x 5 note cards
- one box of colored pencils (to be kept in the LA classroom)
- pencils, pencils, pencils! ☺
Social Studies (blue)
- one 1-subject notebook
- blue pocket folder (heavy vinyl or plastic recommended)
- one ultra-fine tip black Sharpie
- one fine-tip black Sharpie
- one box of colored pencils
- white one 1-subject notebook
- white pocket folder (heavy vinyl or plastic recommended)
World Language/Other (green)
- Spanish: 6th grade Spanish students should have a binder for Spanish class with 5 sections in it
- French: folder and a notebook
- German: a SEPARATE 1/2″ 3 ring binder, dividers, colored pencils
- Chinese: three ring binder
- a separate Math binder (1 ½ in. or 2 in. binder)
- a BLACK pocket folder
- a BLACK graph notebook (additional paper may be needed throughout the year)
- 5 dividers with labels
- Pencil pouch (large enough to hold calculator, ruler, and pencils/erasers)
- Jumbo book cover (or paper bag is fine)
- Any version of the TI 30 Scientific Calculator
- Graph paper
- a folder (student choice for color/design)
- Official SHMS Physical Education T-Shirt
- Athletic black shorts or black sweatpants (Designs are allowed on athletic wear.)
The School Store sells both the SHMS Physical Education T-Shirt and Black Athletic Shorts.
And Finally–LOTS OF PENCILS!
Shop & Support The WSSD Foundation Golf Outing
Thursday, Mar 30, 2017 | 7:00 PM
25% Of Sales Will Be Donated
550 Elm Avenue
Swarthmore, PA 19081 (map)
If you can’t make it you can shop online and proceeds go to the Foundation. https://www.stelladot.com/ts/dw2q6
There is not going to be an Arts4Smarts Auction this year – instead the Foundation will be having a Golf Outing at Springhaven on MONDAY, MAY 15. http://supportwssd.org/our-events/a-golf-outing/
A message from Dr. Palmer, Superintendent of WSSD…
My recent e-blast on the proposed property tax elimination legislation has certainly created a buzz around our community, so much so that a town hall meeting with our legislators has been suggested. To that end, I have been in contact with Representative Kruger-Braneky and Senators Killion and McGarrigle. I am happy to report that all are agreeable to attending a town hall meeting on the important topic of education.
You are invited to attend this town hall meeting with our legislators on Friday, March 24th, 7:00 PM – 8:30 PM, in the Strath Haven High School auditorium. Parking will be provided in the Middle School (lower lot) as well as the High School (limited number of spots). Please consider carpooling to the event so we can accommodate a large number of individuals.