Search this site
- SHMS Hot Chocolate Bar December 11, 2017 at 7:00 am – 11:00 am
- SHMS Rubik's Cube Club December 11, 2017 at 2:30 pm – 3:00 pm
- SHMS Mentoring Monday's December 11, 2017 at 2:30 pm – 3:00 pm
- SHMS Ping Pong Club December 11, 2017 at 2:30 pm – 3:00 pm
- SHMS Online Gaming Club December 11, 2017 at 2:30 pm – 3:00 pm
Sign up for H&S Emails
Want to stay in the loop with SHMS Home & School news? Click here to get on our mailing list!
Last week’s home and school meeting: record turnout! Here are the highlights:
1. We started organizing March 21 7pm WSSD Faculty vs. Wizards Basketball Fundraiser!
2. Plans are underway for Career Speakers Day May 23, 2018 conjunction with staff and guidance counselors! Join us: we select speaker topics, professions, speakers and lunch for our guests before their afternoon of speaking. All students rank their choices and attend three afternoon sessions
3. 6th Grade Teacher Team Reps presented their grade update, information on the Franklin Institute Trip and outlined the upcoming projects, spirit week and red ribbon week activities.
4. Mr. King highlighted the role of the Grade Team Reps, who meet regularly during school days. He also presented both spirit and grounds wish list requests, which the board approved! Be on the look out!
5. Volleyball Night is coming up in November with proceeds to the 8th Grade service project.
6. Our November meeting date will be moved, more to come!
7.Four of the WSSD School Board Candidates made introductions and overview of why they are running!
8. SEND US YOUR BOX TOPS!!! Drop off at the office.
This Thursday Night: October 19, 2017
Home and School Meeting!
All candidates for WSSD School Board election November 7, 2017 have been invited to attend the October 19, 2017 Home and School Meeting! Meeting opens at 7pm in the Library, main level.
Enter via main doors.
They will be introduced and given an equal amount of time for a brief statement. They may stay afterwards for any individual questions, etc.
Plan to attend!
What is Art Goes to School?
Art Goes to School is a volunteer art appreciation program serving schools and communities in the Delaware Valley. People of all ages who love working with children and are excited about art become volunteer members of Art Goes to School. Volunteers bring art reproductions into the classrooms. We present a program that encourages children to “look, listen and feel” works of art.
Art Goes to School uses art from around the world. Our children learn about the art from cave paintings to pop art and our collection is always expanding.
No Experience is Necessary
Art Goes to School of Wallingford- Swarthmore provides workshops to help our members learn about our portfolio of art reproductions. We work together in six two- hour weekly meetings every fall and spring to prepare lessons and share classroom techniques. Together we create lessons that are innovative and informal, making art accessible to all of our children.
We visit each elementary school and SHMS twice a year
We prepare a schedule of visits and allow our members to choose the day, time and grade that is best for their schedules. Volunteers give about four 45 min presentations in the classroom in the fall and again in the spring.
Visit Museums— Attend Lectures
Each year Art Goes to School of Delaware Valley sponsors a series of lectures on topics of interest to our members. We visit Philadelphia area museums and historic sites as well as a networking brunch with members from chapters throughout the greater Philadelphia area.
Student directories still for sale. Order your directory (and pay via PayPal) by going to the SHMS Directory page under the Fundraisers menu. Books sent home via office to child’s connections teacher, or pickup at the office (cash or check” SHMS HSA.”)
In addition, we have now launched the SHMS Direct App. This iOS app allows you to access student directory data on the go from your phone. You can download the app from the Apple App Store (search for SHMS Direct). Purchasers of the paper directory have the opportunity to get the online directory for an additional $3.
Check out the SHMS Directory page for more information!
Incoming 6th graders in Band or Orchestra
There will be an “orientation rehearsal”on August 24,2017 SHMS Instrumental Music Room C128 ( Copples Lane Entrance)
6th Grade Orchestra: 8:30 am – 10:00am
6th Grade Band: 10:30 am – 12:00 noon
Rehearsals will be:
6th Grade Orchestra – Mondays: Connections (2:18 pm – 3:05 pm)
6th Grade Band – Morning Rehearsals, every 3rd day @ 7:00 am
The first rehearsals will be:
6th Grade Orchestra: Monday, September 11, 2017 @ 2:18 pm – 3:05 pm
6th Grade Band: Friday, September 8, 2017 @ 7:00 am – 7:45 am.
For more information, please read the SHMS 6th Gr Band and Orchestra 2017 Letter